Birmingham passenger numbers fall by -7.2% in June – 12/07/06

UK. Birmingham International Airport handled 891,087 passengers during June, a decrease of -7.2% on the same period last year. The fall was attributed to a 15 June temporary runway closure, but also the impact of the World Cup and changing travel and holiday plans, said the airport.

Compared to a year ago, there has also been a reduction in dedicated MyTravelLite services, which are still being replaced by other airlines.

There was growth on services to the Indian sub-continent, which rose by +9.3%, and non-EU routes which grew by +10.2%.

Scheduled routes that experienced growth included Gothenburg (+76.6%), Malta (+54.7%), Nice (+52.7%), Zurich (+47.9%), Bordeaux (+34%), Inverness (+28.4%), Toronto (+15.8%), Madrid (+15.4%), Copenhagen (+9.5%), Amsterdam (+9.4%), Frankfurt (+9.4%), Billund (+9.1%), Dusseldorf (+8.6%), Munich (+7.6%) and Barcelona (+5.9%).

Charter traffic that experienced growth included Croatia (+154.4%), Germany (+84.7%), Bulgaria (+70.1%), Egypt (+26.8%), Italy (+7.3%) and the US (+7.9%).

Scheduled traffic accounted for 64.3% of the total passenger traffic in June with charter passengers making up the remaining 35.7%.


Alpha Airports Shopping unveils flagship store at Birmingham International Airport – 31/03/06

Food & Beverage The Magazine eZine