Zippo has announced a partnership with Dufry-owned Hudson Group, further underlining the company’s commitment to the travel retail sector.
The maker of the windproof lighter has devoted “significant resources” to expanding its presence in Hudson News stores, which is a core component of the company’s sales and marketing strategy. Through its partnership with Hudson, Zippo has reported “substantial growth” and generated brand awareness among air travellers in North America.
“Travel retail is an important market for Zippo and aligning the brand with Hudson, the recognised leader in the newsstand/convenience sector, has positioned the company for future success,” said Bart Collins, CEO of CITRA Inc, which represents Zippo in the global travel retail and duty free channel. “Travellers are drawn to unique and immediately recognisable branded products – that’s where Zippo comes in. The Zippo brand is one of the most recognised in the world. The Zippo lighter has TSA approval for transport within the cabin of an aircraft, and is a truly viable product for this industry.”
Following a positive market test at select Hudson News shops in key international airports, the partnership has expanded significantly. Today, Zippo windproof pocket lighters can now be found in 52 Hudson News locations in 15 airports across the US, including:
Zippo lighters can now be found in 52 Hudson News locations in 15 airports across the US
• John F Kennedy International Airport – New York
• McCarran International Airport – Las Vegas
• Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport – Anchorage
• Baltimore/Washington International Airport – Baltimore
• Chicago O’Hare International Airport – Chicago
• Cleveland Hopkins International Airport – Cleveland
• Denver International Airport – Denver
• Nashville International Airport – Nashville
• Newark Liberty International Airport – Newark
• Norfolk International Airport – Norfolk
• Pittsburgh International Airport – Pittsburgh
• Richmond International Airport – Richmond
• Seattle-Tacoma International Airport – Seattle
• Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport – Greer
• Stewart International Airport – New Windsor
“Hudson News is committed to providing customers with the products they need and the brands they trust,” said Hudson Group Senior Vice President of Merchandising Michael Levy. “For over 80 years the Zippo lighter, with its familiar shape and distinctive click, has set the standard for quality lighters. We are proud to feature this reliable, established brand in our travel retail stores.”
Each Hudson News location features a variety of Zippo’s most popular pocket lighter designs accompanied by product displays and visual merchandising. In addition, Zippo can also provide any Hudson News location with customised souvenir-themed destination models. This includes the trademarked “˜I Love New York’ logo lighter, available in Hudson News’ John F Kennedy and Newark Liberty locations, or casino and gambling themed lighters at Las Vegas McCarran Airport. The “˜I Love New York’ logo is the only tourism slogan to be included in the company’s standard product line of lighters and is Hudson News’ bestselling Zippo lighter across all of its locations, the company said.